Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Don't Like Listening To Audiobooks? You Might Be Listening To Them All Wrong


A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to become more healthy. With good health comes diet and. . . (*shudder*) exercise. I won't lie. I HATE exercising unless I'm doing something fun. Walking and jogging seemed like an ominous task to me, mostly because I become bored, and listening to the same tunes over and over isn't very motivating. This led me to look into podcasts (FYI, Serial is a REALLY good one!) and this consequently led me to audiobooks. 

I've listened to sections of audiobooks in the past and I wasn't impressed. I just couldn't seem to get lost in it like I could a book. However, I discovered that I was listening to them all wrong. What I needed to do was listen while I was occupied with something else. I do this while I'm either exercising or working (I often work by myself). It's easier to say I'll run until the end of this chapter than it is to say I'll jog one mile. I actually find myself wanting to go further just so I can keep listening--and I only let myself listen when I'm doing one of these two tasks.  

My first audiobook was World War Z by Max Brooks. I saw the movie some time ago and although I wasn't overly thrilled about the idea of reading it, I was curious (BTW, it's nothing like the movie but amazingly awesome!). Now, I'm addicted and onto my second audiobook, Water For Elephants. 

However, I don't feel right about buying audiobooks when I can just buy a physical hardcover or paperback.  However, I've discovered that my local online lending library offers them, so that was a win-win. Not to mention, I've started a two-month free trial on Audible.com . This might be irrelevant information, but I've made $25 dollars by signing up to this website through Swagbucks

Unlike a physical book, audiobooks aren't really something I can curl up and listen to. I have to be mobile, which is why I listen while I'm jogging, walking, or working.

If you didn't listen to audiobooks before, you should give them another shot but only while you're doing something mundane like washing dishes, exercising, working (if you're allowed too), or driving somewhere. 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment