Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Here Is Why I Hate Me Before You by JoJo Moyes (even though I gave it a 4 star rating)

Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

FAIR WARNING OF SPOILERS BELOW:

How do I feel about this book? It's been over a week since I finished it and I'm still suffering from the events of the end. This isn't even me fangirling; this is me conflicted by the choices of Will. I think what JoJo Moyes did was quite cruel--so cruel I can't even fathom writing a proper review. I basically felt robbed of all hope in life.

The problem is, I couldn't simply give this book two stars (I was so mad that I debated it) but neither could I give it five stars. I'm only giving it four stars because of its literary value of its characters and plot. It was indeed a great book. . .up until the end, of course. The plot moved along steadily, it was captivating, and the characters were quite entertaining. I loved watching Will and Lou interact once they got to know each other. They were interesting people who were able to leave a strong impression of the other. The book had the feel of a love story but it really wasn't quite one. At least, not a traditional one. The romance didn't occur until the end and even then the romantic aspect was ruined by Will's terrible choice.

However, I can talk about the character and plot no more.

I suppose you think I'm fangirling and I'll admit I cried. However, this is me not fangirling. I'm angry because the author allowed him to give up. In reality, there are people out there in much worst condition. He could have been on a ventilator, lost all his limbs, lost his speech, or could've become a vegetable. There were other people out there like him--and this is what Lou had been trying to imply the entire book but with failed success. I know that I have no idea what it would feel like to be in Will's shoes, to have the best parts of life robbed from you in seconds, but I can tell you that he gave up. He was in pain most of the time, yes, and any of the other times he was uncomfortable or depressed but there is always someone worse off than you. There are soldiers that have lost everything mentally and/or physically, people who have lost their entire families, others who are born without limbs, and so much more. I just feel like this story could have gone in another direction instead of portraying the message that it's okay to give up. That's what enraged me the most. For example, in The Fault In Our Stars, I cried like a baby at the death of you-know-who (I won't reveal who it was for anyone who hasn't read it yet). I thought it wasn't fair but deep down, I could accept it because it was the natural order of things. If Will had died of his injuries or even of pneumonia, I would have been able to accept it a whole lot better than what he actually did.

I thought the movie was going to be great until I read the book. Now, I don't know if I want to anymore. It's painful watching someone do that to themselves, especially when I've known people that have struggled with such thoughts themselves. It really defies all hope for mankind. So. . .the question is, did I enjoy the book? Partly. I enjoyed it very much up until it was quite clear the direction it was going to go. That's when things became miserable and I couldn't like it anymore. I can't even say I had the feels because I had no fangirl feelings. I was just upset at the choices. The book should have actually been named The Terrible Choices of Will.







View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I tried commenting on your blog many times ago but was unable to to publish it. I really liked what you wrote though there are many instances where I did not agree with you. The terrible choices of Will?? That is interesting but not all Wills choices were disagreeable. His decision about going to Dignitas....well that is, after being convinced by my friend it was not a very wrong choice. But it is a very well written blog!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Christian, I had a very difficult time coming to terms with his choice (so difficult that I couldn't even come to terms with it). It's against all my moral standards, values, and beliefs. I'm only referring to the "terrible choices of Will" as the ones that led up to his decision in the end. My sister did bring to my attention that I wasn't in Will's shoes and that he'd had a taste of life only to have it stolen away. Of course, I realize that must have been hard and depressing, especially when you couldn't do anything for yourself. It hardly seems a life worth living, yet there is always someone worse off than you still finding worth in life.

      Also, thanks you! :)

      Delete